Thursday, March 18, 2010

Saturday Nights

As most of you know I have lived in the same little town all of my life. I was talking with a friend a few weeks back, recalling some of my memories growing up here. She said you should blog about that, telling all the details. So I thought I would share some of my memories of life in a small town through the eyes of a child, teen and now as an adult.


I was born in 1953 so we were still in the era of where most all of the stores were located next to each other on either side of Main Street (down Town).


In my home as with most of our neighbors there was much excitement on Saturday . We would spend the day preparing for Sunday and church. There were baths to be gotten (there were 3 adults and 4 children in our home) some food preparations for Sunday. Also supper to cook after which
we all got ready to go to town.


Oh what fun this was. We were given a quarter(.25) to spend any way we wanted. The Dads would park their cars on either side of the street. Then most of them gathered in the Barber shop. Some for haircuts, most just to talk.


Now the Moms would set in the cars. You see most of them had washed their hair for church and had "rolled" it up. There they sat in their dusters with their hair in rollers. Some would move from car to car "visiting".


Us kids would be given free rein to run up and down the street, choosing where we would spend our money. This was in the carefree days when the parents all watched after all the children and it was safe to let us roam up and down the street as long as we kept in "sight".


There were so many choices to make. Did we want a hot dog and coke from the drug store. Popcorn from the dime store, or penny candy from the grocery stores??? So many choices for .25.


When the Dads tired of talking back into the car we would all pile and head home.


To Be Continued..........

10 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

What special memories! Thanks for sharing.

Hugs!
Kat

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Neat Mary... I love hearing stories like this... I grew up in a small town --where you didn't even have to lock your doors since it was so safe. I could wander all over town ---and do basically whatever I wanted to (with no fears). GEE---how times have changed!

Thanks for sharing . I'm looking forward to more.
Hugs,
Betsy

Vee said...

What a neat Saturday evening tradition. Does it still go on or when did it change?

tea time and roses said...

Hello Dear Mary!

Dropping in to wish you and the family a most beautiful weekend!!:o)

Beautiful post, sweet memories.

Smiles...

Beverly

bluemuf said...

Hi Mary, Oh I love this and look forward to part two. After I read your post I started thinking about my younger years and growing up in the 50's.

Hugs Karen

Unknown said...

Mary,
I love stories like this, and I can see everything in detail from your writing. Such wonderful times. I was born in 1948, and well, the 50's were such wonderful times to grow up. What wonderful memories that you have shared.

Karen

Darla said...

Sometimes we don't know how special the days are until they are memories. I loved it when kids were watched by everyone like one big family.

Darla

Amy M. said...

I am so enjoying your memories!!! (hope your prayer request was answered)

-Amy
Crafting by Candlelight

PCovi said...

I can picture it!
I used to use those sponge rollers religiously but never let anyone see me in them!
A quarter, huh? I'm not laughing! ;)
Remember Mr. Pritchett? He charged $4.50 for a haircut and when people paid with a five, he gave them a half dollar for change.

Nicolas said...

This was greatt to read