Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fudge

Back and forth went the swing, each time making a clanging sound. I sat and listened , content with each movement and sound it made.

The dog that lay at my feet sleeping, began to wake and stretch. A gentle breeze was blowing. The night air had a crispness to it. The smell of Fall was in the air.

I went into the house and got a quilt to wrap up in as my Grand mother begin to tell us a "story".

You see my children this is a special time of the year. This is when we gather up for the winter ahead. All summer we have "put up " the vegetables and fruits we have grown. Now it is time to gather the pecans and walnuts to use in our Fall and Christmas baking.

My little Brother interrupted, but Mamma the squirrels are trying to take all the walnuts. She laughed and told him those squirrels would just have to share with us. I know they too are busy storing up for winter for their families also.

Now I was only 9 years old and had a very vivid imagation. I could just see Mother squirrel in her red checked apron baking all sorts of goodies with "our" walnuts. I looked at my Grandmother and said, "well if we are going to share our pecans and walnuts with them what are going to share with us"? Mary she said, they give us hours of entertainment as we watch them playing and jumping from tree to tree. I looked at her and said I do not want entertainment, I want Fudge!!!!!!

20 comments:

Gettysburg Homestead said...

What a great story!

Thanks for stopping by and entering my giveaway.

Mary

Mimi said...

I'm with you...I Want FUDGE!!!!

bluemuf said...

Mary, loved the story. I always enjoy reading your wonderful stories.

Hugs Karen

Unknown said...

What a precious post Mary! I could just see it all in my mind, love this!

Thank you so much for your kindness and support on my blog! It means the world to me!

Big Hugs,
Amy

Mary said...

A delightful tale. Thanks so much for sharing. I can picture Mrs Squirrel in her red apron and it seemed so real through your words. I throughly enjoyed it.

Blessings,
Mary

Vickie said...

Great story - makes me think about the dependableness (is that a word?)on the seasons, the ebb and flow of life, routine and the traditions that we have. I love this time of year - Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Very cute blog..glad you came over today.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Mary,
That was so sweet and now I want some fudge :) Sounds like you had a great relationship with your Grandma.
Tomorrow is garage sale day and I think there are a couple that I'll stop at in the neighborhood.
Warmly, Deb

Carole Burant said...

Awwww what a very sweet story and I can just picture it all:-) Fudge is one of my weaknesses...oh my, now my mouth is watering for some! lol xoxo

Unknown said...

Oh, it's 11:30 P.M. I have stayed way too long in Blogland. I told myself...one more stop to Mary's place. I am so glad I did. Now that I have had my bedtime story I am quite content to go to bed. Your story is wonderful. I say, you write and I'll illustrate the story for you. Blessings, Karen

P.S. I think I can draw a squirrel.

a portland granny said...

What a sweet story. Isn't it nice to have that pleasant memory??

Sandi McBride said...

What a lovely post...it would make the best story for a book...
hugs
Sandi

Vee said...

Fun story! "Mama Squirrel in her red-checked apron"...love it!

Denise said...

Beautiful story.. and you tell it so well......... and Fudge! OH YES..... tis the season!

Have a wonderful rest of the week and a very Autumn weekend

Darla said...

Priceless story! There's a really old fudge recipe I remember eating as a child. It uses something called marshmallow cream I think. An Auntie always made it during the holiday season. Maybe I should try to find it. (Anyone???)

Darla

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Oh lordy I thought at first you had just made some and I already had one leg in the car...
Chad...when he was a tot called it PUDGE which really makes sense, doesn't it?

Unknown said...

Mary thank you so much for the words that you left on my post. I have been praying this week to recover from a deep wound left by some unkind words. If only people knew the power that God gives us in His word and when we misuse words to hurt someone it does not go unnoticed.

I was told my art was mediocre in comparison to important artists. I was told this by a printer giving a lecture in front of a room full of artists I had never met before. I was humiliated and felt deeply wounded all week.

Your words were healing.

Blessings, Karen

Jackie said...

Thank you for sharing the story with all of us. Mind you I agree, I think I would take the fudge as well.

God bless.

Amy said...

Super fun!!!!! I love the apron imagination!!

Amy said...

Super fun!!!!! I love the apron imagination!!